Solemn Judgement (Counter Trap) missed timing on LV monster summon

1. Bug description
    A missed reaction of a counter spell to a special summon during the Standby Phase.

2. Bug reproduction steps

During the Standby Phase my opponent summoned Ultimate Insect LV7 with using the effect of Ultimate Insect LV5 while I had a face down Solemn Judgment. Chain was “On” but I wasn’t asked to activate Solemn Judgment to negate the Special Summon of Ultimate Insect LV7.

3. Screenshot OR error code
    /

4. Expected behavior
    Solemn Judgment can negate monster(s) summons of any kind even when special summoned by effect. At least for fusion summons and ritual summon this works as well. I know that it cannot be activated during the damage step when a monster is summoned through cards like Mystic Tomato, but I don’t think this applies to the standby phase.

5. What OS are you using
    Windows-10

Hello,

Thank you for making a bug report.

I am investigating with the Judge team on this topic. However, as my understanding stands, this is working correctly. Card Database

Based on this translation of the OCG rulings page it appears that the effect to summon Ultimate Insect LV 7 is an activated effect. This means that the summon resolves apart of the effect of LV5 and does not provide a window to solemn judgement as the summon is completed apart of a chain link.

This would be similar to a fusion summon of a monster as the effect to summon the fusion monster is done apart of the fusion spell effect, providing no opportunity to negate the summon once it arrives on the field. The difference is that a fusion spell can be stopped with solemn judgment, where as a monster effect cannot. Because of this, I believe it is working as intended.

Edit: I have confirmed that this is an activated trigger effect and not a summon condition. Because of this, Solemns Judgment cannot activate for the reason described above.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

If you’d like to discuss this, feel free to reach out the judges team in the Duelist Unite Discord server in the #rulings channel.

Thank you for your help in making YGO Omega be the best it can be.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.